Re: (erielack) DL&W/O&W in Scranton

The ICC in FD 19861 d. 10 October 1957 confirmed the 29 March1957 cessation
of operations by the NYO&W.  The famous ICC rubber stamp (hardly ever saw an
abandonment they didn't like) was out on this though the O&W was obviously
one of their easer decisions.
     Notice was made in the decision of the following operations being
conducted under ICC Emergency Orders:
     Erie RR 1. within switching limits at Port Jervis
                2. within switching limits at Middletown (this was a bit
more extensive reaching 3.48
                    miles from Middletown to Crawford Junction and still
operated today by successors)
                3. Riverside Mine Branch in the Scranton area
                4. at Winton PA in the Scranton area
     DL&W  1.  Utica to New Hartford, about 5 miles
                2.  1/2 mile at Norwich
                1.  1 mile at Scranton
     D&H     1. within the switching district at Sydney
                2. within the switching district at Carbondale
     NYC     1. Cornwall to Firthcliffe
                2. Fulton to Oswego
                3. within switching district at Rome
                4. within switching district at Oneida
                5. within switching limits at Kingston
Several of these former NYO&W segments are still in operation.  I will try
and research further as to the details of the Erie and DL&W operation.  The
Emergency Order provided for intirim operation pending sale but ultimately
several of the segments were not sold and consequently abandoned.  You will
particularly note that the CNJ was not involved in any operation of former
NYO&W property.
M J Connor