(erielack) RE: NYSW List - MCC 4039 news

Since I work for the County, I asked the people in charge, here is the
answer I got from the Morris County DOT;

[quote]The county received $380,000 to restore the locomotive for the
Whippany Railway Museum. County Counsel has just assigned us an attorney to
draft a contract between the county and the rail museum. Once a contract is
signed, the Freeholders can sign the task order form from NJDOT, and then
the project will be bid. At the same time the county will be looking for a
construction/project manager to certify the work through the
process.[/quote]

I don't know the back story, but from the Whippany RR Museum site they also
needed to raise money prior to work commencing on the project.   All I can
say is I have dealt with Tea-21 and ISTEA money for County construction
projects and they are an absolute pain in the A** to get approvals for.  If
you do not have all your ducks in the correct row, you don't get the money.
When the project is as something as far out as a steam engine restoration
and not a building restoration I can imagine the people at NJDOT Local Aid
(the clearing house for the money) have no idea what they are doing.

And seriously, if you know of anyone that could be the project manager for
this restoration, let me know, and I will pass the name along to the right
people.

Chris Vitz, wearing his business hat
Principal Engineer
County of Morris