RE: (erielack) A couple of items

The NYC controlled the NKP from c. 1885.  It was ordered to divest the NKP
by the Federal Government under the Clayton Act (IIRC) c. 1916.  President
A. H. Smith of the NYC (no relation to the NY Governor and Presidential
Candidate of the same name) sought out the Van Sweringens as purchasers of
the NKP on the reasonable theory that they were the less of several evils.
Disposition to the DL&W would have been a strategic blunder for the NYC
creating, as it would, a new NY-Chgo competitor.  I don't believe the DL&W
management had a lot of choice in this.
       The Lake Erie & Western, also an NYC-contriolled property, was also
sold to the Vans for much the same reason.
       In the lost opportunity column it might be interesting to ask why the
Erie did not actively pursue the other ultimate component of the pre-W&LE
NKP, the Toledo, St. Louis & Western ("Clover Leaf").
       The House of Morgan and other banking interests had great influence
on the management of the various railroads and worked to reduce empire
building and competition.  I think that the folks that controlled the purse
strings of the DL&W and the Erie were reluct6ant for either road to expand
out of its geographic limits.  I believe this made each road much weaker by
mid-century than they needed to be but by then the damage was done.
M J Connor