Re: (erielack) Book review - Travel by Pullman

In a message dated 2/21/05 3:40:07 PM, wshultz1_@_twcny.rr.com writes:

<< Mike,

Since you brought up the book, why don't you tell us all more about it.

Is it published by Andover Junction? Who are the authors? Aside from the

pictures, is there any DL&W, Erie or EL content? Hard cover? Soft cover?

Many of us interested in passenger trains of the DL&W, Erie and EL might

find the additional information helpful. Are there any reviews on line

or in print?

Will Shultz >>

TRAVEL BY PULLMAN is published by MBI Publishing (formerly known as
Motorbooks) and produced by Andover Junction Publications (AJP holds the copyright).
Passenger train/car historian Joe Welsh and former Pullman Company director Bill
Howes are the authors; I edited and designed the book, and Kevin Holland laid
it out.

This is a hardcover book, with dustjacket; 10 x 10 inch format, 156 pages,
color and black & white. It retails for $34.95 and should be available now at
Barnes & Noble or Borders book stores as well as some hobby shops.

There's not a whole lot of EL/DL&W/Erie content, but there are some
heavyweight-era photos of Erie and a couple of good color DL&W Pullman shots. If the
book favors any one railroad, it's probably the B&O, since one of its
authors--Bill Howes--used to be in B&O management and for a time was also director of
passenger services for C&O/B&O. So, needless to say, Bill has a wealth of very
nice B&O/C&O illustration. But there's lots of NYC, PRR, AT&SF, and UP too,
since those roads offered myriad Pullman services over the years.

No reviews have crossed my desk yet, although I'm sure there are some out
there, somewhere.

Mike Schafer
Andover Junction Publications

End of EL List Daily V3 #1576