RE: (erielack) Numberboards in EMDs/Alcos

Joshua,

As I am also working on a numberboard decal set (well, SETS, since there are so many typefaces), I have some good info here:

Most F-units and all E-units had glass numberboards, as did many "as-delivered" units (U25B, SD45, GP35). When then EL started switching to the white numberboards, they switched to a white plexiglass back with slightly-raised black plastic numbers.

Fonts are ALL over the place. The majority of the white numberboard units use a typeface that I call "numberboard narrow block" - I think EMD started using as a standard for second generation units, and it started appearing all over. The earliest EMD SD45s used a Gothic font, while the early GP35s (as well as the GP7/9s and E8s) used what I call "EMD square block."   The RS2/3s and PAs used EL's Gothic typeface (a nice touch).  The EMD switchers were all over the place, but they seemed to use a mix of EL condensed Gothic and standard Roman. Alco switchers primarily used EL condensed Gothic. The U25Bs had "GE Gothic" as delivered, then received the numberboard narrow block later. The U33C/U36Cs all had "GE Modern Gothic", as did the initial order of U34CHs (but the second order had a "lighter" version of this typeface)

Let's see... What did I forget? The F-units had a plethora of typefaces (whatever was handy, I suppose). FMs had EL condensed Gothic boards.  FAs has EL condensed Gothic,

As for the GP18, I know the Susquehanna's had glass when delivered, but were later changed to plexi.

	- Paul