(erielack) Sussex Branch Bike Ride, 11/15/03

Sussex Branch Bike Ride 11/15/03

My son went to a movie with a friend; my wife is getting her hair done.  I
have several hours available and the weather is good though cool - about
40F.  It's a beautiful afternoon for ride, so I pack the mountain bike and
am off to the Sussex Branch parking area off Waterloo Road.

There are about 10 vans in the parking area, so people are definitely out
there.  I'm on the way at 1:15 and stop frequently to take some photos
with the 'world's smallest digital camera' - it's about 1.5 inches square
and a a half inch thick.  It uses ONE AAA battery; I keep it in my shirt
pocket for protection.

The railroad ran uphill for about three miles to a point south of
Cranberry Lake, then downhill through Andover.  I cover about 7 miles each
way, stopping for a snack in town and cross US 206 before turning back.  A
section between Cranberry Lake and the Lackawanna Cutoff is poorly
maintained, with flooded sections and three trees down across the path;
it's a tough squeeze to get through that.

The pathway widens in Andover at the junction.  Amazingly, one signal
upright and signal heads still stand!  The Lehigh and Hudson is heavily
overgrown but passable if you can find it.  Some cable on utility poles
stands on the east side between the junction and the connecting track (in
the southeast quadrant); the connecting track is badly overgrown.

The return trip is faster with no photo stops.  I'm done at 3:30.  A good
ride as the trail is not paved; it's 'multi-use' allows horses, and they
don't like macadam.

I will post the photos later...

=====
Gary R. Kazin