Re: (erielack) C&WI Commuter Trains (was re: Arch Window Stillwells on the C&WI)

Dear Randy and Group,

Thanks.  Is this portion of the C&WI still in place?
If so, is this a potential Metra route, or is it too close to other
lines (South Shore and IC Electric Line) to be viable?
I can never judge the proximity of the lines by looking at a map of
Chicagoland because it's such a vast area.  Communities that appear
"right next to one another" on the map are miles apart.

I'm quite surprised that the trains terminated in Dolton rather than
Hammond or points beyond.  True, urban sprawl wasn't as big a factor
back then, but Hammond certainly wasn't a "small town" in 1957.  Any
guesses as to why Hammond (or even Griffith or Crown Point) wasn't the
terminus?

Cheers,
Alan <quahog at sprint.ca>
ELHS #3178