Re: (erielack) ERIE/EL C328 caboose, NJ

Jim,

   Those filler necks are for diesel/kerosene fuel tanks for the
Sano-Cab(sp?) stove/heaters which were installed to replace coal stoves in
some cabooses and were standard issue on some of the newer cabooses.  I
believe these were Conrail additions in some cases, but I know that some
conversions to these stoves were done before Conrail.   I can't speak for
the EL, but I know the Penn Central transfer caboose I restored at the
Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum has a Sano-Cab installation which
was installed by PC to replace heating system that used propane cylinders.
Yet, we also roster restored Erie C254 and it has the same Sano-Cab setup
along with a PRR N-5C that also had a similar setup.  All former Conrail
cabooses.

   In the case of the photo of the C328, I believe the smaller cap is a dip
stick to check the level of the fuel in the tank while the larger is the
filler.   In the C254, the small cap/dip stick is actually inside the car on
the tank, but the cap looks identical to the one on the C328.

   We have thought of returning the C254 back to being coal fired and have a
stove for it.  I must admit, however, the fuel (you can use diesel or
kerosene) stoves are much easier to light so long as you keep the water out
of the fuel tank/line.   Then things get ugly and that comes from
experience.

   Sadly, I have yet to add our caboose pages to our website, but a picture
of the Erie C254 can be see at the bottom of this page:
http://www.rochnrhs.org/rgvrrm_photogallery.html

   Hope that helps.

Until later,
Chris Hauf