Re: (erielack) Re: Fw: DL&W Depot Johnson City, NY 1965

Guys, where is this photo available?  It's not on the Archive page. . .

SGL
- ----- Original Message -----
From: <tabeckett_@_stny.rr.com>
To: <wsmith5957_@_aol.com>; <dougellison@stoneconsulting.com>;
<laurellines_@_juno.com>; <railroaddoug@erols.com>;
<alfred_runte_@_email.msn.com>; <erielack@lists.railfan.net>;
<johnkluge_@_citcom.net>; <overcrailway@aol.com>
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 10:26 PM
Subject: RE: (erielack) Re: Fw: DL&W Depot Johnson City, NY 1965

The candy factory was Fair Play Caramels, which was right at Willow Steet
where it crosses the tracks. The building is still there, but hasn't been
used in over ten years. The power plant is NYSEG Goudy Station, not Niagara
Mohawk. It is now owned by a company called AES, and receives coal by rail,
getting several trainloads per week. NS switches the plant-no joke-with
C40-9s and occasionally SD 60s, or even SD 70s. NS did some serious tie and
surfacing work Christmas week a year ago, and the line is in beter shape
than it had been in years, but it still ain't 70 MPH main line. National
Pipe and Plastic in Vestal is still rail served, and the line extends to a
point just east of Old Vestal Road, where the overpass is still in place. I
don't know if the tracks extend as far as Broome Bituminous, which is just
before the bridge, and I've never seen them get or ship anything by rail.
The west end of the spur, from African Rd to Bridge Street is now a walking
trail.

Tom B