RE: (erielack) Re: Fw: DL&W Depot Johnson City, NY 1965

The candy factory was Fair Play Caramels, which was right at Willow Steet
where it crosses the tracks=2E The building is still there, but hasn't bee=
used in over ten years=2E The power plant is NYSEG Goudy Station, not Niag=
ara
Mohawk=2E It is now owned by a company called AES, and receives coal by ra=
il,
getting several trainloads per week=2E NS switches the plant-no joke-with
C40-9s and occasionally SD 60s, or even SD 70s=2E NS did some serious tie =
and
surfacing work Christmas week a year ago, and the line is in beter shape
than it had been in years, but it still ain't 70 MPH main line=2E National=

Pipe and Plastic in Vestal is still rail served, and the line extends to a=

point just east of Old Vestal Road, where the overpass is still in place=2E=
don't know if the tracks extend as far as Broome Bituminous, which is just=

before the bridge, and I've never seen them get or ship anything by rail=2E=

The west end of the spur, from African Rd to Bridge Street is now a walkin=
trail=2E

Tom B