RE: (erielack) DL&W numbering question - the theories go on...

Joe Fisher wrote:

> Then I got to looking through Mike DelVecchio's side of the
> Erie/DLW book, and saw the following....
>
> 02905 "Sand Car"  which has specific instructions "Dry Sand
> Service Between Scranton Diesel Shop and Phalanx Ohio...

This would obviously be an EL-era shot (unless DL&W managed to build that branch to Phalanx... ;)

The car could have been "repurposed" (i.e., found a new use but retained its DL&W number)

> I started looking back at page 62, and specifically the
> reproduction of the "Summary of Equipment" and if one takes a
> look down at the "Non Revenue Cars" you will see, beside the
> derricks, plows, and the sort, you'll find BOXCARS, FLATS,
> GONDOLAS.... (and by the way, the 4 tank cars used in Diesel
> oil service are listed here too...)
>
> So here's the theory, Cars prefixed with an "0" are Non
> Revenue Cars, AND, They are "ASSIGNED" to a Specific
> department as well....
>
> the 02003 and cars like it are the "Ballast Cars - Side Dump"
> which lists 37... They do have Side Doors in the cars... (Not
> to be confused with "Air Dump Cars" built by Clark, Magor,
> and Koppel of which the 95721 is a Magor built version)

Interesting theory - but isn't the MOW department one large department? Do you think they'd really sub-segreate to that level?

Here are some brief observations I've noted about DL&W MOW numbering:

Most MOW cars (cranes, plows, flangers) were numbered in the 95000-series. Exceptions include the "0-" series cars and the 3600-series troop sleepers (I think the former milk cars-turned-bunk cars were also 3600s). The 0-series is truly bizarre, though. Maybe the "0-" just indicates it's a car that was demoted to non-revenue service from a revenue car?

I have a whole host of DL&W MOW photos at home, I will try to research what other cars got the "0-" ...