(erielack) Re: Fw: DL&W Depot Johnson City, NY 1965

Doug,
             Neat foto of the DL&W Johnson City station. If memory serves me
correctly, the station was on the East side of the tracks so this view would
be looking West toward Vestal. In the early 60s, there was a roustabout
called the 'over the river' job that worked Johnson City, the power plant,
and on to Vestal. We'd leave the Conklin DL&W yard in the afternoon with 15
or 20 cars & a GP9 or maybe an Alco switcher and run the former DL&W mainline
past West BD where the ERIE & DL&W lines parted company. At that point, we'd
begin switching industries - maybe sometihing for EJ shoe Co. then on to the
Johnson City station area where there was a small cluster of industries - one
of them sticks in my mind, a manufacturer of caramels. Cars for him were
known as the 'candy man cars', thence to the power plant near the DL&W bridge
over the Susquehanna river, always good for a few hopper cars although the
Company lost that business due to poor service (in an 'economy' measure, the
yardmaster cutoff a yard job and had us switch the yard for hours - sometimes
the full shift - and the coal didn't get to the powerplant when they needed
it. Niagra Mohawk decided to TRUCK the coal in so they wouldn't have to shut
down. Whatever money this saved the RR, it lost them another customer. Hey,
10 cars here, 10 cars there & now you have a whole train you've eliminated.
      As an official told me,'We have to be cost effective'. They were and
now there's no more Erie-Lackawanna.
Regards,
Walter E. Smith