Re: (erielack) Railfanning Erie/EL Post 9/11

In Conrail days, this was like a lost land - it had friendly crews and the
CR-P only came around for the odd military train or major derailment (but
then when you have one guy in Dewitt responsible for the area between
Buffalo and Albany, and to Massena, he doesn;t get much chance to come down
there).  Not sure what NS has been like, but then again NS isn't treating
the line much differently.  I think they did add a RR Police position at
Bingo, and of course there's the chance a crew could mistake you for some
stupidvisor trying to catch them in the act of breaking the rules, but if
you're not chasing trains and keep the trespass to a minimum (IE shoulder of
the road, etc.), I'd expect you'd be fine.  Right now there's only a handful
of trains, although I have always managed to have good luck - even on an
oddball night trip to Elmira a few weeks ago - on a Sunday, no less - I
happened to catch a local go past the station.  That's also the night we
found out the bar across the street from same station, is an 'alternative'
type establishment, if you know what I mean.  It seems as though the section
of Elmira west (RR south) of the tracks and from about the station northward
(RR west) is not a good section of town.

If you do go, make a note if the two storage 40' boxcars still sit just east
of the yard office in Elmira yard.  Should all be visible from a public road
overpass; the building is wood frame and apparently original Erie.  Last
time I was here, the piggyback unloading ramps made from DL&W 40' Piggyback
flat cars were still in the yard.

Bill K.