Re: (erielack) Re: EL SDP45 Picture

In a message dated 4/19/2003 12:27:03 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
kdegroff_@_starpower.net writes:

> These units were on a 14 year lease, which makes them safe on the UP roster
> until about 2008 or so.
> This entire class was equipped with MK's version of PTC, which makes them
> more versatile than the
> generic UP SD40-2 fleet which is undergoing retirement now. And they
> haven't had the years of abuse
> by SP which was common with most other SP-inherited power.  Depending on
> the economy, I would not be
> surprised seeing a lease extension on them.

  The UP computer generated spec sheet I have in front of me for SP 8695, ex
EL-3662 shows the secondary owner as SP, and the primary owner as UP. Nothing
noted in the "Lease" section of the document that the unit is leased. I will
pull the assignment sheet tonite when I go to work, and see what it
indicates. The last time I looked, if major failure occurred, Omaha
Mechanical was to be notified about disposition. These former EL units are
not cab signal equipped, so are not to be used as leaders on CCS equipped
lines. Most of the units were assigned to sugar beet, and local service out
of their home base in West Colton. I read a notice over at the Mechanical
Department several weeks ago that the SD-40 retirement program was to be
accelerated. With the slumping economy, and traffic levels dropping, the jury
is out as to what UP will do.

JJBoehner