Re: (erielack) A long shot, but...

Linda Klocker wrote to Paul R. Tupaczewski who forwarded to the Erie
Lackawanna list.

Linda wrote:

> All we know is that my husband's grandfather (Alexander B
> (Black)
> Brown) worked for the railroad after 1912 till about 1934. >

His name was Alexander Black Brown?

> He was from
> Scotland and they settled first in Callicoon, NY and then in the NJ
> area.  He went to work and disappeared from the family (according to the  > tale).
> Would like to find out anything at all about him.  He was a mechanic.  My
> assumption is the railroad ran along the Delaware.  Everyone assumes
> it's the Erie Lackawanna but I could be wrong on this.>

At that time the railroad would have been the Erie.

> Any information is helpful or if any records are available from the
> railroad on employees.

What information are you looking for?

You might be able to find what happened to him after he disappeared by
contacting Railroad Retirement.  Do a Google search on Railroad
Retirement.  The RRA office was in Chicago and may still be but the
records may now be held my the Social Security Agency.

I doubt that any employment records would still exist for him as the
companies have merged so many times.

Look for him on the Social Security Death Index at
http://ssdi.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi although I doubt that you will
find him and only entries for people who died after Aug 1962 may be
there

Look in the 1920, 1910 and 1900 Census Soundex for him and you will find
his age/birth month and year and when he immigrated.  Get your S-i-L's
father's? birth record.

Get some books on researching your family history from your library.
Any of them will give you ways to find out about him.

bob gillis