FW: (erielack) "Spanish" or "Mission" style tile roofs of the DL& W

- -----Original Message-----
From: Pat_McKnight_@_nps.gov [mailto:Pat_McKnight@nps.gov]
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 9:35 AM
To: Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)
Subject: RE: (erielack) "Spanish" or "Mission" style tile roofs of the DL& W

I was told by an architect that unglazed clay-red tera-cotta type tiles are fine for the arid southwest, but for the northeast with its climate, glazed tiles hold up better.  I need to do a bit more research on the subject, but it sounds good.  Another point this architect made when I mentioned that the original roof was replaced with a green asphalt roofing, he said it has been common practice to replace tile roof with something of similar color.

I would like to thank this board for the input on tile for the Mattes Street Tower in Scranton.  Some very good points have been made and will hopefully be reflected by the restoration of the roof.  Any additional input is always appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat McKnight
Historian, Steamtown NHS

                      "Tupaczewski,
                      Paul R (Paul)"           To:       "'James Harr'" <bnchmark_@_eclipse.net>, ErieLack
                      <paultup_@_lucent.c         Digest <erielack-digest@lists.railfan.net>
                      om>                      cc:       Pat_McKnight_@_nps.gov
                                               Subject:  RE: (erielack) "Spanish" or "Mission" style tile
                      04/11/2003 09:12          roofs of the DL&     W
                      AM AST

Jim Harr wrote:

> The main point of interest, aside from the fact that it was in
> pristine condition, was the variation in coloring of the tiles,
> ranging from a light Pastel Aqua to a dark Sea Green. This would seem
> to support the theory that the tiles were indeed green, but they
> ranged in color, which would match the black and white period photo
> you have of Mattes Street Tower, and the theory of tiles of altenating
> color.

I have actually seen and held a tile from the Greendell station, and I seem to remember the green ranged from a deep forest green to a light grass green - it all seemed to be dependent on the thickness of the glaze at that point. I assume this natural color variation stems from the glazing being slapped on by hand, and the uneven nature of this gives those color changes.

Obviously, in HO, this is hard to reproduce, so an "average" of all the colors will have to do...

By the way, does anyone know why green was chosen as the "color of glazing" for red terra cotta tiles? And why not just leave them unglazed?