Re: (erielack) Interior colors

In a message dated 4/9/2003 1:33:34 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
Andrisd_@_aol.com writes:

> Hello, can anyone tell me the color of the seats in the DLW coaches, circa
> 1955?  Are there any photos showing details of the seats?  Also the color
> on
> the seats in the ex-Santa Fe coaches used by NJDOT.

  Andy,

  I can answer your questions. The following from the Spec sheet for DL&W car
interiors from the Pullman Company.

"Seats to be upholstered in Goodall Fabrics Co.'s 54" material to match Mass.
Mohair Co.'s Gothic quality, pattern E-4, color # Red-27."

The red color was very light, more like a rust color.

Interior, and I will abbreviate.

"Bulkheads at both ends of main body of coach above snap-on molding at window
capping height and across transom at women's lounge end and on Body side of
wing partitions above window capping line to be Dupont Dulux Tan."

"Ceiling in main body of coach, passageways and lounge rooms to be Dupont
Dulux Cream.

"Pier panels and frieze, main body of coach, passageway walls on both sides
from window capping height to ceiling to be Dupont Dulux Green.

These were very light colors, more like pastels. The artificial wood grain
contact paper was installed either by Long Island RR, or PC. Windows on DL&W
and EL were clear glass.

I hope that you will sometime be able to ride in DL&W 318 when we are
finished restoring it.

You might also visit the website for Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation
Society at www.eldcps.org. I have asked Mike Steinberg, President ELDCPS to
post some photos of the car as it is today.

Regards,

John Boehner, President
Erie Lackawanna Equipment Leasing, LLC