(erielack) Ore Season Begins On Former Erie Line

Dear List Members,

NS ran the first ore train of the season (that I know of) yesterday 4/3/03
about 5 AM through Cortland. This is the Ashtabula to Warren ore train that
terminates at WCI Steel.

The route is former NYC Youngstown Branch from Ashtabula Harbor, south,  to
Latimer. Former Erie RR (EL) 2nd District mainline from Latimer, east, to
North Warren. Former PRR, PY&A Secondary, south, to Warren and WCI Steel. CSX
 (B&O) takes the loads into the mill.

Around 8 AM this morning I saw the train of empties returning through
Cortland headed for Ashtabula.

I don't know how long this operation will continue as WCI has teetered near
bankruptcy recently. If WCI closes, it will most likely be the end these
operations by NS and the end of the railroad between Warren at Latimer. Ohio
Central does switch some local businesses in the area of North Warren, which
should continue.

Rick Fleischer
ELHS 1426
Cortland, Oh.