Re: (erielack) Lets get down to Earth........

I won't start a I heard/you heard thread. If you've heard conflicting
stories, so be it, but this is what NJT people have told me about the
Cutoff:

	Within the past three years, the entire line has been surveyed and
evaluated from Port Morris to the state line. They found the bridges in
good condition. The Paulins Kill viaduct needs some attention. The
bridge over some road near Port Morris will have to come down and be
replaced with a grade crossing.

	The track will be single, with one or two passing sidings. There will
not be any wayside signals; only cab signals. Track speed will be around
90 or 100 MPH. An outside contractor, probably RR Construction, will
build the track structure. They say all track and signal work can be
completed in 90 days.

	There will be only one or two stops between Stroudsburg and Port
Morris; Blairstown and ____________. (fill in the blank)

	NJT is working with Pa. for Stroudsburg service. From Stroudsburg west
NJT has no interest. Amtrak took a quick look at
Binghamton/Scranton/Stroudsburg/NYC, and decided it wasn't feasible.

	If this happens, because of the lack of track and storage capacity east
of Dover, the Stroudsburg trains will terminate in Dover, and be stored
mid-day in either Dover or Port Morris.

	NJT proposes three or four eastbound trains in the morning and three or
four westbound trains in the afternoon.

	I've heard startup dates from 2006 to 2008.

	As long as NYC keeps its place as the financial center that it is,
you'll probably see this service. If the stock markets and banks move
out of the city, who knows?

	Bill

STEVEZ10_@_aol.com wrote:
> Some DL&W Cutoff reality's as opposed to the PADOT and Morris County DOT
> recent fantasies on a 2006 completion date.........
>
> Some good points below from some fellow NEW JERSEY railfans!!!
>
> "I think if the Cut-Off was suddenly now 'in the works' it would be BIG news
> - if not in the public media, certainly within the northest rail fan
> community....
> I suspect that it would take a year to just clear and grade the entire route
> before any rail related construction could commense.
> And then you've got stations with parking lots and access roads that need to
> be built ( see how long it took NJT to build the Bay Street-Montclair station
> )....and I strongly suspect that Roseville Tunnel is gonna require a full
> concrete inner liner with stone/concrete portals at each end ( see how long
> the Bergen Tunnel project has taken ). Then you get to the massive Paulins
> Kill and Delaware River viaducts....you KNOW the engineering 'experts' are
> gonna recommend - at the very least - that both spans have their respective
> deckings completely rebuilt/fortified. After all this is completed, you got
> 26 miles of ballast, ties, rail, signal work to undertake.....all by
> 2007-2008....with NJT at the helm ???
> I kinda doubt it!!!
>
> And we haven't even addressed the work on the Pennsylvania
> side....re-alignment of the existing one-track main in several locations from
> what once was track #1 to track #2 and vice versa, installation of CWR, new
> crossties, signalling, crossing gate apparatus installation at numerous grade
> crossings, parking lots, access roads, station refurbishment, perhaps a
> couple passing sidings....not to mention construction of a proposed/planned
> storage yard at Anolomink and an adequate station complex with parking
> somewhere in Scranton....there's ZERO available parking at the old and grand
> former Lackawanna Station ( now a 4-star hotel ). My guess is a deal will
> have to be arranged with the National Park Service for a loading
> platform/trackage on the grounds of Steamtown adjacent to the latter's
> excursion loading area with overhead access to the Mall and it's parking
> garage....
>
> That's a quite alot to get done within 4-5 years....even if the money was
> allocated, all engineering plans finalized, construction bids received and
> chosen AND all NIMBYS pacified....TODAY !
>
> I'm not getting any younger....have been waiting for this since that bond
> issue I voted for back about 14-15 years ago !!!
> Everyone knows that the traffic on Route 80 in Northwestern New Jersey (along
> the Lackawanna Railroad) is not getting any less than that over the last 30
> years.
>
> "When will it be completed" (only follows commencement )
>
> When will it begin?
>
> 1) After I and everyone else is retired
> 2) After most taxpayers leave New Jersey
> 3) After performing more costly enviromental impact studies
> [...]

- --
Be a Locomotive Engineer:
Its the most fun you can have with 3000 HP