(erielack) Lets get down to Earth........

Some DL&W Cutoff reality's as opposed to the PADOT and Morris County DOT
recent fantasies on a 2006 completion date.........

Some good points below from some fellow NEW JERSEY railfans!!!

"I think if the Cut-Off was suddenly now 'in the works' it would be BIG news
- - if not in the public media, certainly within the northest rail fan
community....
I suspect that it would take a year to just clear and grade the entire route
before any rail related construction could commense.
And then you've got stations with parking lots and access roads that need to
be built ( see how long it took NJT to build the Bay Street-Montclair station
)....and I strongly suspect that Roseville Tunnel is gonna require a full
concrete inner liner with stone/concrete portals at each end ( see how long
the Bergen Tunnel project has taken ). Then you get to the massive Paulins
Kill and Delaware River viaducts....you KNOW the engineering 'experts' are
gonna recommend - at the very least - that both spans have their respective
deckings completely rebuilt/fortified. After all this is completed, you got
26 miles of ballast, ties, rail, signal work to undertake.....all by
2007-2008....with NJT at the helm ???
I kinda doubt it!!!

And we haven't even addressed the work on the Pennsylvania
side....re-alignment of the existing one-track main in several locations from
what once was track #1 to track #2 and vice versa, installation of CWR, new
crossties, signalling, crossing gate apparatus installation at numerous grade
crossings, parking lots, access roads, station refurbishment, perhaps a
couple passing sidings....not to mention construction of a proposed/planned
storage yard at Anolomink and an adequate station complex with parking
somewhere in Scranton....there's ZERO available parking at the old and grand
former Lackawanna Station ( now a 4-star hotel ). My guess is a deal will
have to be arranged with the National Park Service for a loading
platform/trackage on the grounds of Steamtown adjacent to the latter's
excursion loading area with overhead access to the Mall and it's parking
garage....

That's a quite alot to get done within 4-5 years....even if the money was
allocated, all engineering plans finalized, construction bids received and
chosen AND all NIMBYS pacified....TODAY !

I'm not getting any younger....have been waiting for this since that bond
issue I voted for back about 14-15 years ago !!!
Everyone knows that the traffic on Route 80 in Northwestern New Jersey (along
the Lackawanna Railroad) is not getting any less than that over the last 30
years.

"When will it be completed" (only follows commencement )

When will it begin?

1) After I and everyone else is retired
2) After most taxpayers leave New Jersey
3) After performing more costly enviromental impact studies
4) After building more ADA mini-high level platforms (that are hardlly ever
utilized by anyone; was there any evidence of useage by wheelchair tracks or
footprints on those ramps during or following a snow job?)
5) After building more Sound Walls (like the ones along Route 80 in Denville,
adjacent to the cemetary, Wendy's, Burger King, public and commuter parking
lots)"