(erielack) Rail Developments in France & Britain

Reading of the problems of members of the ELHS trying to get to the meeting
by use of a train in North Jersey where we once had a great variety of
service brought to mind a couple of things I saw on a recent vacation to
London & Paris. I thought I'd share them since we are all (presumably) 1.
interested in seeing that GM doesn't succed in paving over the continental
United States. & 2. Restoring that which we once had and frittered away (good
train service). 3. Avoiding dependance on foreign oil - a high percentage of
which money is immediately funnelled into organizations which wish only to
kill us & destroy our way of life - kind of like those anti-marijuana ads on
TV.

BRITAIN - Has introduced legislation which establishes a surtax for those who
wish to drive their private autos into London. If you MUST drive your car
into the central city, you will pay for a license tag that acts as a permit
to do so. This is in addition to the regular license fees. Trucks entering
the city will also be restricted as to times of delivery and parking. This
has been seen on websites like TRAINORDERS.COM, so I was aware of the
movement, but while in London last wek, I saw huge posters all over saying "
Next week begins the license restrictions!!! A fine of 60 Pounds will be
asessed for each violation1"
       I hadn't been to Britain for 25 years and was astounded at how
congested the roads were. More cars = more roads = more cars. The 4-laners
were packed even in non-rush hour times & the local roads in the city -
FORGET IT. THIS with a train service that would be the envy of most American
cities! Sad to say, Britain has handicapped itself in a misguided attempt at
'PRIVATIZING' the rail services. The result has been downsizing, cutting of
benefits, layoffs, and 'deferred maintainance'.
The day we left for France, there began a strike on the commuter services
into London because the private companies eliminated 'guards' (conductors)
rationalizing that one man could run the train alone. BBC-TV had a scathing
interview of a RR official who explained how they were rushing to train
clerks to handle the duties of the conductors. They are called SCABS. My own
thoughts went to how would the engineer cut out a badorder car, flag when his
train is stopped, etc. The supervisor on BBCTV was showing a class of newbies
a red flag "This is how you stop an oncoming train."  BOOOMMM.

FRANCE. We rode the chunnel train into Gare du Nord. Traffic seemed to be
normal as we neared Paris, but there was lots of slow running in England with
poor track, etc. On this RR at least, the french had their act together. SNCF
has always been a tough act to follow. That country understands the value of
its' RR infrastructure.
     The downside came during a tour of the city. The lady who was the
tourguide enlightened us about a new law enacted by the mayor of Paris and to
take effect shortly. No more private autos in the city, and no more
tourbusses. HIZZONER intends for everyone - commuters, tourists, - to travel
in boats on the Seine river which winds at a leisurely way throught the
center of the city. JUST GREAT - that river is already crowded with freight
barges, tourboats, and people living in canalboats, barges, yachts, etc. to
escape the huge rents. There IS a law that says have to own an apartment if
you live in a boat in Paris. You therefore need 2 residences to live in one.
     They DO have a problem.....cars are parked EVERYWHERE. on streetcorners,
at crosswalks, straddling curbs where there is some grass between the curb
and sidewalk, blocking exits from buildings, - total anarchy. I remarked on
this & the tourguide said"Well, m'sieu, everytime we elect a new president,
the new president proclaims an amnesty on all fines for parking, speeding,
etc. Therefore if you get 500 parking tickets, so what, you never will pay
them."
      With a great METRO and good rail service, it IS possible to get around
by foot, but by the second day, the calves on my legs ached. WE are spoiled.
I don't know what will happen in Paris....I don't see riverboats as the
answer to public transport in Paris, but at least they are trying. Our
politicians on the other hand don't seem to be aware that we HAVE a problem.
Regards
Walter E. Smith