(erielack) RE: CR at Great Notch

From: "Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)" <paultup_@_lucent.com>
Subject: RE: (erielack) CR at Great Notch
I think the last through freights on the Cut-Off (and by association, =
the Boonton Line) were in 1979 or early 1980?  I remember seeing wacky =
CR mixed-up power rolling through Boonton when I was a kid into at least =
the late 1970s. Even in CR days, the Boonton Line was a hopping piece of =
railroad; of course, the PC-influenced CR management shifted the traffic =
to parallel PRR and NYC lines... <sigh>
	- Paul

- ------------------------------
Paul,
  I bet you were seeing the last active freight on the line operated by =
Conrail. The "Port Morris Turn". I enjoyed chasing this train on =
weekends, I guess it averaged 3 units,  and about 60 cars. It worked =
everywhere like CS-9 / SC-8! Leaving Croxton by about 11:00am westbound =
setouts and pickups were always made at Boonton, East Dover and Lake =
Jct. arriving at Port Morris very late in the afternoon. Very slow paced =
easy operation, I recall the crew would contact Denville Tower to ask =
permission to stop the train on the Boonton Line and grab a bite to eat =
at Paul's Diner, it's located on RT 46 in Montville. This was common =
every trip. I will check my photos to see what the last through freight =
and pusher movement I captured at Great Notch.=20
Todd- =20