(erielack) Slide scanner

Having scanned a few slides (50,000 plus), I feel I may be able to add
something. I have tried several flatbed scanners with slides capability and
have found the results unacceptable. These flatbed scanners include a high end
system with a capability of 4800 dpi.

I current have a Mircotek 8700 which has a separate bed for slides and
negatives up to 8x10. I am still not pleased with the scanned slides and
continue to use my HP S20 for slides. This dedicated slide scanner scans at
2400 dpi. I plan on replacing it with Nikon scanner sometime this year.

The 8700 works well with negatives. It is fairly fast and I scan 3x4 negatives
in about 15 seconds. I can normally scan 60 negatives in about 1.5 hours.

The S20 scans a slide in under 60 seconds.

Note, that if you only have a few slides, the scan time is not an issue but
when you receive 600 plus slides in the mail, time is critical. Since a return
a CD with the TIF files I save in, I normally scan slides or negatives until I
get enough to fill a CD (700Meg). The TIF files are then resized to one of my
standard sizes and saved as JPG, which are placed on line.