RE: (erielack) Some more food for thought...

Ok, Maybe not a direct merger of EL into the SF system, but why not a
shell company?

Seems to me, after reading the book (and the other book, "Wreck of the
Penn Central") that "shell companies" were the "en-vogue" thing at the
time.

I mean, if Norfolk Western can develop Dereco (which was originally
DERJCO) in an attempt to monopolize the D&H, EL, RDG, and CNJ, why
couldn't ATSF start up a holdings company to aquire, but keep seperate
the EL.

You said they were strong financially, and I have little doubt,
reguardless of government funding, if the ATSF stepped in, it would've
deffinately given anything the government could come up with a very good
run for the money..

Joe,

New Jersey Transit / Norfolk Southern
Milepost B-21.4, Boonton Tpke