RE: (erielack) RS-3 #1049

Tony Horn asked:

> Looking at a picture of 1049 posted by J. Testagrose.  As I
> recall, this is an ex-Lackawanna unit.  It has many
> "screened" openings rather than louvers, etc.  Didn't Stewart
> Models do one like this in their early "flat" kits?  What
> "Phase" is this unit?

This is technically a "Phase 1" unit. The screened openings weren't a
phase variation; rather, they were a component change. To the best of my
knowledge, Stewart never made one of these with the screened openings.

EL 1049-1056 were the RS3s equipped with the screen material (rather
than door louvers). I personally think these units were ugly because of
this feature! The EL later retrofitted the louvers on TOP of the hood
doors with the "large louvered panels" (a la the other RS3s and the PA
noses). The lower screened sections remained pretty intact to the end of
the EL.