RE: (erielack) Why not ALCO's

Easy Haas wrote:

> OK, so why didn't the EL buy C6??'s? I 've spoken with two
> mechanics at
> Marion, one in depth and the other so-so. Found out that any
> Alco's were
> not fun to work on, because if engine work was to be done, it
> just about
> had to be extracted from the frame. There has to be a reason
> they didn't
> buy any. The BN bought 1000 SD40-2's and they weren't in a disastrous
> financial position, so the EL fiscal position in the late sixties
> doesn't match. We all know the Marion shop crews were wizards
> at keeping
> equipment moving and doing major re-engineerings. C636's
> could've been
> bought and tinkered with until they ran good; eventhough rather
> expensive.

That's the key right there: Why would the EL want to pay good money on
something they'd have to "tinker until they ran good," when they could
buy super-reliable and proven EMD (and to a lesser extent, GE) products?
That's kind of like saying that you'll spend $50,000 on a 1988 Yugo -
sure, it's a piece of crap, but you could theoretically tinker with it
until it was a fine running machine (highly unlikely, however! :)

Me thinks the Marion shop wizards had enough maintenance issue on their
hands with the fleet of RS3s out there!

> Why did some of the D&H C628's make it on the
> Westend if they
> were such a headache?

Dereco-era run-through power. I suppose since they only ran through, the
EL felt that they could just drop them back at the D&H's doorstep if
something failed! :)

> This leads to 1060-1061. Was just the power plant changed
> only, or was
> the generator and/or other stuff changed? From the list,
> found out these
> were good engines and more were scheduled to be done.

First off, the 1061 wasn't completed under EL - it was nearly done, but
then CR finished the job.

For those who are wondering, the 1060 and 1061 are RS3m rebuilds of
former 244-engined RS3s, rebuilt with EMD 567 prime movers. Apparently,
it seems that the EL was planning on doing many more of these
conversions until CR stepped in (and even they embarked on a fairly
extensive RS3 rebuild program). Not sure if the generator or other stuff
was changed, but it does look like the radiator compartment was
certainly changed.

> About the triple header UPS trains, wouldn't it make sense to run an
> extra with the SD45M's and SD45-2's during peak season to
> make the round
> trip without refueling? If the 4 axles could make it, OK; I'm
> not very
> knowlegdable on fuel rates.   God bless the US. EZ

The smaller 4-axles might have tagged along as "protect power" and might
not have been worked?