Re: (erielack) C-424/GP-35 use

- --- Erielack1_@_aol.com wrote:
> The C-424 units were moved west in 1974 from Scranton Diesel Shop. I am
> not sure if they where reassigned to Youngstown or Marion diesel shops.
> When they were gone they where replaced with ex-Erie 1200 class GP-7
> units. A GP-7 would pull about two loads less up the hill out of
Portland
> than a C-424.

They went from 2400 HP to 1750 and wondered why they could only handle 2/3
as much train...

> In 1975 a move was made to replace two GP-7 units with one GP-35.

Another brilliant move, replacing 3500 HP with 2500.  The GP35 might have
been a suitable replacement for the 2400 HP ALCo, but they probably had
been loading the train up to the capacity of the two GP7's.

> The B&P got a GP-35 for two or three weeks. This unit was not well
> suited for this service. It could not haul as much tonnage up the hills
> out of Portland and Martins Creek Jct. as two GP-7 units and it slipped
> lot.

If the train is overloaded, slippage is one symptom...

> The GP-35 was replaced with two GP-7 units.

At least they admitted failure and went back to what had worked.

=====
Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey