RE: (erielack) DL&W 2-8-0's??

Gene wrote:

>    I'm new to the list and have just started collecting
> motive power &
> rolling stock for a future layout of the DL&W the Sussex Branch in
> particular but as to my specific question:

Welcome aboard!

> Did the DL&W run any 2-8-0 Consolidations and what were some road
> numbers on any engines they may have used?

Yes, the Lackawanna had many 2-8-0s in the 300- and 700-series. You can see photos of them on George Elwood's excellent site at:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/loco/dlw-stm.html

The Lackawanna's Consolidations were pretty distinctive. The word I like to use to describe them is "chunky."

Many years ago, a company called Bradford Locomotive Works (now defunct) made cast resin built-up HO scale models of these. As far as I know, these are the only DL&W-specific 2-8-0 models made in any scale.

> I had the good fortune to obtain an IHC HO 2-8-0 undecorated
> at a great
> price on ebay and was wondering if the DL&W ran any and what
> the engine
> road numbers might have been as I could possibly order the
> decals or dry
> transfers for its markings.

The IHC model isn't quite right for the DL&W, but it's a fair enough stand-in that you can reletter it and use it.

Champ made DL&W steam locomotive decals, but they're out of business now, and you can't get these easily anymore. Another company is working on a DL&W steam set for release sometime later this year.