(erielack) Hogback story

Since you guys are on Hogback...
Cant remember if i once told this little snippet, but the late great DL&W
engineer Jack Symons told me a neat one about that bridge once..
There is and has forever been a restriction on Hogback, that you cant take 2
locos over it at the same time, too much weight.. Its a big no no.
Jack was hauling an exectutive inspection train to Gladstone with 2 E8's one
Sunny weekend back in the day...
On board was DL&W President Perry Shoemaker and all the other brass, tucked
away in obs car #99.When Jack got to Hogback bridge, he stopped of
course.(Why management would send 2 locos down there is beyond me but anyhow)
The road foreman came up barking as to find out what the delay was... "Whats
the holdup?" Jack replied, "2 engines". The road foreman reminded him of the
Royalty that was waiting on board, pointed at the bridge and told Jack, "GO
OVER IT!"
Jack held his breath and over the bridge they went.
He used to tell me how me was scared to death that the bridge was going to
collapse and he couldnt bare to look as they went over. He didnt want to do
it, but also didnt want to disobey his superior.
Ah the good ol days :-)

- -Pat Lederer