(erielack) Hornell Evening Tribune...Railroad change prompts $2.7 million reduction in city

News

Railroad change prompts $2.7 million reduction in city assessements

By ROB MONTANA -- Staff Writer

HORNELL -- Due to state regulations placing a ceiling on railroad property
assessment, the City of Hornell lost $2.7 million in assessed value from last
year.

"We had an assessed value of $3.9 million last year," said Hornell Mayor
Shawn Hogan of the railroad decrease. "This year it is $1.2 million."

The ceiling isn't just impacting Hornell. Railroads operating in the state
are now enjoying an automatic 45-percent reduction, but the governor and the
Legislature agreed to help ease the pain to municipalities by contributing a
difference on a sliding scale over period of years.

"It's happening all over the state," said Hogan. "With population decreasing
and assessments decreasing, the expenses are going up."

All properties in the city, when added up, total $165,906,099.

Hogan is dealing with the lost assessed value as he prepares the 2003 fiscal
year budget, which will take effect April 1.

But the lower assessed values will not prompt a property assessment
revaluation.

"We're not planning on doing a revaluation in the near future," said Vicki
Dempsey, city assessor. "It's quite an undertaking and it has to be passed by
the Common Council before it can be done."

The last revaluation was done nine years ago, but Dempsey said the
equalization rate has remained mostly static.

"We did a revaluation in 1994," said Dempsey. "We've been pretty stationary
in our equalization rate, right around 92 percent.

"The equalization rate doesn't affect city taxes, the only thing it affects
is school tax," she added. "I expect the rate to go back up, because the
property values are increasing."

Communities that have lower equalization rates will face higher school taxes
then communities with a 100 percent equalization rate.

"The equalization rate is a scale of levy," said Dempsey. "Someone with a
lower equalization rate would be impacted more.

"Someone with a 100 percent equalization rate would not really be affected."

<A HREF="http://www.eveningtribune.com/display/inn_news/news1.txt">http://www.eveningtribune.com/display/inn_news/news1.txt</A>

Damion