(erielack) Re: Draconian Punishments & FRA

In all fairness to my employer NS, they really don't torture employees
before they fire them.  As far as getting by a stop signal is concerned,
there are FRA issues that come into play.

You all may not remember Ricky Gates, but you may remember the trouble he
caused.  In 1987 he was running a set of light Conrail engines and got by
the signal and fouled the main at GUNPOW interlocking on the corridor.
Amtrak's Colonial came by at 125 miles an hour and sideswiped the engines.
I don't recall how many deaths resulted, but Gates tested positive for
controlled substances.  The result was mandatory drug testing for train
crews and FRA certification for locomotive engineers.  Before that the
railroad judged a man to be qualified and that stood.  Now when the railroad
qualifies a man, they also certify that he meets FRA standards.

When an engineer passes a stop signal, or exceeds the limits of his track
warrant or Form D, he is immediately FRA decertified.  The length of time
depends on whether or not this is his first violation and what the railroad
determines in their investigation.  Usually it's at least six months.

My co-workers, not just at NS, but around the country  are 100% professional
in their jobs and take safety very seriously.  When we meet a train, we have
to trust that he's safely in the clear when we pass or that we're in the
clear so he can pass safely.  Sorry for the rant.  It just touched a nerve.

take care,
Curtis Brookshire
ELHS 1289
Manassas, VA