FW: FW: (erielack) Erie and Wyoming Valley

Thanks to Bob Mohowski for answering these questions! See his answers below...

	- Paul

- --------------------

Paul,

Whew, you put me to some work tonight. I'll follow up on some of these
questions with others who know the valley.

 1.    Near Winton Borough their was two short line railroads Moosic Mountain
and Carbondale RR and the Grassy Island RR. Where these coal company owned
lines or what? Also noticed in Olyphant the D&H had a Grassy Flats Spur. I
have never heard of Grassy Island or Grassy Flats before. Are these part of
towns or what?

MM&C was a wholly owned Erie subsidiary dating back to around 1887, projected
to connect Jeff RR at Carbondale to E&WV near Scranton, 15 miles but only 4.2
were blt. It served Marshwood Colliery and connected with Jessup branch as
well. Grassy Island RR. "...as constructed extended form a connection with
the Winton Br. of the DL&W to the D&H and the Sterrick Creek  Breaker, abt.
2,209 feet." Originally intended to run from "...Winton Br. of the DL&W near
the jct. with the NYS&W with said branch, thence in a westerly direction to a
point near the breaker of The Grassy Island RR Coal Co. in Jessup." The names
Grassy Island and Grassy Flats I suspect came from locations which dated back
to the first settlement of the upper valley.

2.    Voipe Coal Mining Company had a wagon loader near Moosic. What is a
wagon loader?

I don't know what a wagon loader is but I'm checking with Yungkurth and Norm
Barrett.

3.    The Erie had trackage rights over the D&H to Langcliffe Jct, near the
Langcliffe Colliery. The D&H went over the top of the Erie and Wyoming Valley
line near the Lackawanna and Luzerne County line before reaching Langcliffe
Jct. Was their a connection between the two lines where the Jefferson
Division trains could operate from Avoca yard and go north on the D&H or did
the trains have to make a back up move in and out of Avoca Yard via the
Langcliffe Branch?

Yes, they had to make a reverse move via the Langcliffe connection to get to
and from the D&H and onto the Jeff. To my knowledge, there was no direct
connection in this area. My guess is that since this involved coal movements,
speed wasn't essential. CNJ traffic was priority, however.

5. On the west side of the Lackawanna River in the north end of the field
is the Winton Branch of the NYS&W. Did the Erie use the NYSW to fiance its
construction. The Erie has trackage rights on this line and it in no way
connects to the WB&E. Not even near it.

Long story here. NYS&W branches (Dolph, Murray, Spencer, Winton and others)
were built to reach coal properties whose tonnage was secured by NYS&W when
they were to build into the valley in early 1880s. The branches were served
primarily, if not exclusively by DL&W. The latter and the Susquehanna made an
agreement that DL&W would haul the coal to Gravel Place and turn it over to
NYS&W. This worked for about 10 years until const. of WB&E. NYS&W planned to
connect these branches to the WB&E through the Susq. Conn. RR. While the SC
did get from Suscon Jct down into the valley, it never turned much to the
northward to reach the branches all located north of present I-81. They may
have secured track rights over the D&H near Moosic Jct. at a location known
as "Blue Goose." When Erie gained control of Susquehanna by lease in 1897 and
then by stock control in '98, it marked the end of the SC plans to go north.
Erie's Jessup branch reached the disconnected mine branches or got very close
and might have used bits of DL&W to get to them. Hillside Jct. was very
important to the Erie/NYS&W operations in the valley. The SC actually
connected with LV's Austin Br. and might have connected with the O&W  near
Sibley and a DL&W branch near these places as well. Track rights and branch
mileages changed frequently as did which line served which breaker. No two
reports seem to list the same mileages for these disconnected NYS&W branches.
Some of these properties lasted until DO ownership of NYS&W.

6.    The end of the Erie's ex WB&E line tied into the Wilkes-Barre
Connecting RR between the City of Wilkes-Barre and Hudson Yard at a location
called Hullenbeck Park on the map. What was the purpose of this interchange
connection.

The WB&E sold its extreme west end to the WB Conn. which was owned by
D&H/PRR. WB&E then terminated at Plains, Pa. There probably was some
connection with the WB Conn but doubt if the interchange amounted to much.
Major WB&E/D&H conn. was at Yatesville where WB&E went over. The WB&E track
is still in west of Suscon Jct although the jct itself is gone. SC is still
in from Hillside Jct. up the hill almost to Suscon. Water tank base, siding
and the wye track at Suscon are still visible as of one year ago. Short line,
Luzerne & Susquehanna (?) operated over some of the remaining SC to reach an
industrial park almost alongside NE ext. of Pa. Tkp. I doubt very much the
present bridge used the CP is the original WB&E bridge over the Susquehanna
River.

7.    The Erie had trackage rights from Plains Jct to Ashley on the CNJ Canal
Branch. What was the purpose of these trackage rights? Did Erie run trains
into the CNJ Ashely yard for interchange?  Yes! AY-91 and its opposite side
ran from Susquehanna, Pa. to Ashley Yard of CNJ. At least one side was a
night run.

8.    The Glen Alden Coal Company had several large operations on the CNJ.
Was Blue Coal also sold on the CNJ lines, and not just the DL&W?

The Lehigh & Wilkes Barre Coal Co. was the CNJ's anthracite subsidiary but
they might have worked with other companies as well. Don't know but it should
not be hard to find out.

9.    The Storrs Branch of the DLW served the Storrs Colliery and the
Scranton Anthracite Birquette Company. What is a anthracite birquette and
what was it used for.

Once read that coal, like charcoal, could be made into briquettes and that
they were used in Europe or the Far East. Just a limited answer, don't know
more on the subject.

10.  The Erie Scranton Branch connected with the D&H Vine Street Branch. Did
the Erie run trains via this D&H branch into its yard and shop facilities at
Dunmore off the Jefferson Division?

I don't think so as the Erie's line up from their Scranton station to Dunmore
was quite a grade and the Vine St. seems more a line to serve a local
customer and looks to have required a switchback move for Erie to use as
interchange. Whole thing looks too awkward. Erie would have had to pay D&H
for the movement. The Erie's main connection into Dunmore was via the main
line of the Scranton branch coming off the Wyo. Div. at East Jct. or from
Avoca at West Jcts. These two jcts. formed a wye where the Scranton branch
went down into Dunmore. They are almost right under the present I-81 bridge
over Roaring Brook. The Pa. Coal Co. office is still there and this housed
some offices for the Wyoming, WB&E and maybe Jeff Divisions. Pa. Coal. was
Erie's anthracite operation. Hillside Coal & Iron was another. There also was
an NYS&W Coal Co. which was folded into the Erie. It bought coal but didn't
do any actual mining.

Quoted passages are from THE ERIE SYSTEM, ITS ORGANIZATION AND CORPORATE
HISTORY  by George Minor.       Robert E. Mohowski