Re: (erielack) Erie and Wyoming Valley

Bob....

In answer to some of your questions about the E&W in the Scarnotn area:

1. Grassy Island was the name of a colliery and a section of that part of the
valley.

3. The Erie had to make a backing move out of their Avoca yard to get on the
D&H.

5. That actually was NYS&W trackage.  They conencted to the WB&E via trackage
rights over the D&H to Moosic where there was a track up the grade tot eh
WB&E, near the south end of the trestle over the Lackawanna River. Bob
Mohowski, Rusty Recordon and I found teh grade while exploring around Moosic
Jct last spring. There is some conjecture that the WB&E operated over the
NYO&W from Sibley Jct to the NYSW track around Winton.  The WB&E, NYS&W, and
Erie are just hoplessly intermingled in the valley. Bob Mohowski is one of
the people trying to sort through it all.

6. The WB&E actually tremianted in Kingston. The W-B Conn RR took over the
bridge built by the WB&E when it was built by the PRR / D&H.

7. Erie trains ran to Asley via the CNJ "Canal Branch" that went almost to
Port Griffith. I was surpriesed to recently find that the Erie ran a symbol
freight daily from Ashley to Susquehanna PA.

8. Once the Glen Alden Coal Co became a separate company the coal was shipped
to many dealers, not just those on DL&W lines.

9. Anthracite briquettes were made from powdered anthracite mixed with a
binder, like charcoal biquettes. this was an effort to utilize the waste
powdered caol but it never really succeeded.

10. I often passed the track connecting the Erei and the D&H at vine St. as a
kid in the 30's and 40's. It was always a rust cover one in weeds and I only
saw a D&H swticher on it once. I think it was a little used interchange
track, but I gues at one time it was possible Erie trains could ahve used it
to go north on the D&H. A more logical route would ahve been to go out of
Dunmore and then to Winton, etc. but I never even saw and Erie trains do this.

Chuck Yungkurth
Boulder CO