RE: (erielack) The Diamond and the Lake Cities

Think you have it bad, in the corridor, Tim? My train #41 to Chicago. (I was comming back from the EL New Jersey meet last month) Left Newark out of many food iteams! My fare to Iowa, first class round trip was over $700.00

We know Amtrak's problems...But as much as we love the Erie. Remember the Erie took a million dollars worth of mail revenue off the Lake Cities and put it on freight.Where, after a few years, the trucks finally got it.

It just boils down to this, the Erie-Lackawanna could not fight the Highway Lobby, in Washington. They tryied to join them, with autos on fast freights. But in the end, we have no Erie-Lackawanna. Last week Congress just spent an other 27 billion on roads! Is today's Amtrak train to Michigan...called the Lake Cities, next to die? ...Lackawanna Lance

P.S. I'm leaving on Thursday's California Zephyr and Late For Sure Limited(Lake Shore Limited) for fantrips this weekend out of Syracuse. I hope to ride Ontrack again too. Then rent a car and railfan my way to New Jersey.I also want to explore Oswego, New York.

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop_@_Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/