Re: RE: (erielack) The New Diamond

Hi all:

I guess this is a good time to introduce myself to erielack e-mail list
members, now that I have recently joined the list and am lurking about. I'll
be happy to answer your questions about the magazine--that is, THE
DIAMOND--either on list to the group or off list to individuals, at any time.
For example, the lighter paper issue that Paul brought up . . . We can print
THE DIAMOND on any weight paper stock that ELHS board members direct us to.
Heck, we could even do it on sturdy cardstock! But there are two
considerations here. One is that paper is one of the costliest aspects of
magazine and book production. The second item involves postage; as you all
know, the more something weighs, the more it costs to send through the mails.
Keep in mind too that there are now more pages, too. So, costs savings are
indeed the consideration in regard to the paper weight of this first issue we
did.

By the way, I scan the erielack list just about every day, but rarely do I
actually read all postings (at any given time, our e-mail counter shows us as
having around 1,000 unread pieces of mail, and much of that is from other
e-mail lists we are on). Rather, I look for topics that are of particular
interest to me. So, if any of you wish to really catch my attention, please
put something in the subject field like THE DIAMOND or HEY MIKE, and be sure
to sign with your full name. Then I will be sure to read the posting in
detail so I can answer accordingly. Also, please be patient in waiting for a
response; we get a lot of phone calls, e-mails and snail mails here at our
production office outside Chicagoland!

I hope you're all going to enjoy the "new" DIAMOND. We have some good stuff
slated for upcoming issues. The success of the magazine will determine its
future, of course. If things go as planned, for example, the ELHS eventually
might be in a position to increase THE DIAMOND's frequency from two to three
(or four) times a year.

We also do other railroad historical society magazines. When we took over the
editing and production of THE MILWAUKEE RAILROADER back in 1994 for the
Milwaukee Road Historical Association, for example, membership had stagnated
at around 1,000 members. Now, the press run for THE MILWAUKEE RAILROADER is
around 4,000, and the magazine now usually runs "in the black." The
importance of any society's publication cannot be underestimated.

Of course, I can't do this alone. I'm relying on the help and wisdom of all
you ELHS members!

Mike Schafer
Editorial & Art Director
Andover Junction Publications