(erielack) REAL ERIE FAN at Hoboken

Along about 1962 or so, I was working as a fireman on the New York Division.
I was way down on the seniority lists since I was a furloughed Scranton man &
often wound up on weekend jobs. We had an RS3 & 4 Stilwells & while we sat
under the trainshed, I'd look back on the fireman side from time to time &
noticed a VERY young guy at the 3rd car helping people onto the train. He had
full uniform.....trousers, coat & vest as well as the RR brass & the hat w/
badge but he looked to be about 14 - 15 yrs old. I asked my engineer & he
(very casually) said"Yeah, that kids in high school, but the crew lets him
work the train on weekends so they can chase women. There's no officials
around anyway." I was surprised, so got further enlightened by the engr. -
"When so & so took the pension, he gave the kid his uniform, & so & so gave
him the hat & vest. Somebody else gave him a ticket punch & he works the
train, but he's not on the payroll or anything."
       I found later that this man had a grip w/ timetables, forms, etc. &
picked up tickets,etc.while the cond'r had a liason with a young lady in the
head car.
       Piont is, This young man who's now a UPRR engr contacted me, but I
lost his email address. Anybody know him?????
Walter E. Smith