Re: (erielack) DL&W: limestone flat car

In a message dated 4/25/02 10:29:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
beowulf_@_build.post.lucent.com writes:

> graphics

This past week I was working in Canada and stopped to visit Alvin Smith, view
more of his Lackawanna collection and talk just plan pure Lackawanna
Railroad. We had a great time together. One of the things that Alvin was
talking about was these limestone cars. According to Alvin the DL had a job
that took care of this business. Alvins story was that the engine crew came
on duty at Port Morris and ran light to Washington. The train crew came on
duty at Washington. Here they picked up the caboose and empty limestore cars
and  took them to Oxford Furnance and returned to Washington with the loaded
limestone cars. They then ran to New Village to work the cement mill, then
went to Phillipsburg. Alvin thought they went to P'burg to turn the engine.
The railroader in me says they would have taken any west cars for the PRR,
LV, CNJ connections at Phillipsburg that came out of Edison Cement with them
and set out in the yard and turned the engine for the return trip. The crew
then returned back to Washington to set out the limestone cars and any other
cars they brought back with them. The caboose was setout and the train crew
then booked off and the engine crew took the engine back to Port Morris.
Alvin was just telling me this week how these cars set around Washington all
the time and where so common that he never took a photo of them. He was
telling me that when these things came down the track you always stayed way
back due to the big limestone rocks that fell off them. He said that if the
rocks hit you they could kill you. Alvin says that there was bright white
rock along the right of way from Oxford to New Village. The last run of this
train was in July 1942. The train came off when the cement plant closed down.
Now what is even more important was that Alvin has been searching for years
for a photo of these cars. He has a photo of one the 900 class with one of
the cars coupled to it just showing behind the tender and a photo taken of
his sister when his family lived on Railroad Ave in Washington with one of
the cars partly visable in the backround. Thanks to the EL List again we have
together found what was unfindable. I will have a 8 X 10 printed up for Alvin
and get it to him.
One other thing that Alvin has been search for years so is the photo of the
Heneryville Tower. According to Alvin this was 16 rod tower that was
orginally put in service at Washington. It was taken out of service in
Washington during December 1912 and in 1913 was moved from Washington to
Heneryville where it controlled tracks 3 and 4. Anyone have any sources of
photos of this tower or any more information on the function of tower Alvin
sure would appracite it. It will see that any replys are sent via snail mail
to him.
Bob Stafford