(erielack) Re: Erie history around NYC

I wonder how many of these 'flamers' are merely too young to even have
experienced the Erie or the Delaware Lackawanna & Western RR's? And
young enough to quickly respond with sarcasm rather than even wait to
hear what us old fogey's are building up to? Impatience and rudeness are
modern virtues, after all.
I for one don't remember the Flatiron Building, but I definitely
remember the Erie RR ticket office in Rockefeller Plaza, quite near the
studio built at street level for the original "Today" show with Dave
Garroway (and J. Fred Muggs.) In my high school and college days I would
go early to stand outside the studio (no, no one came out with
microphones as now, but after 9am the studio was open for walking
through and seeing yourself on a video monitor,) and then stop in the
Erie ticket office for timetables. The connecting motorcoach to
trainside Jersey City left from here, usually a Public Service tutone
grey transit bus. Strangely, there were Erie diamonds all over the NY
metro area in the 50's, especially along the waterfront with its
bustling carfloat businesses.
Joel McEachen
Fairfield, CT