(erielack) Re: Abandoned ROW

> >From Archives_@_Railfan.net
> Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:55:05 -0400
> From: "Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)" <paultup_@_lucent.com>
> Subject: RE: (erielack) Abandoned ROW
>
> Ed,
>
> > I have been reading, with interest, these stories on abandoned
> > railroad ROW's.  It is interesting to see what happens to it.
> >  I first
> > thought of some lines right in NJ.  For instance, the ROW of the
> > DL&W Rockaway Loop remained in place for decades.  Much of it
> > may still be there.  I wonder who owned it?  Who ultimately took
> > over the ownership of the Sussex Branch.
>
> I don't know who took over after EL, but today the State of NJ owns the
> entire Sussex Branch and it's used as a hiking/biking trail.

Well, except for the mile+ through Newton (which Newton owns,) and the
section in Branchville, (which Branchville owns,) and the Franklin line
(which is owned by Sussex County,) and the Stanhope leg from Waterloo
Road to Netcong which I believe is in various private or corporate hands.
- --
DL&W Sussex Branch Memorial
http://SussexBranchMemorial.com
Monomania can be a good thing