(erielack) Unofficial abandonment

List-

Speaking of trackage still officially in existence, I recently hiked the Erie
Piermont branch from Suffern to Spring Valley.  While most of the branch just
suffered from overgrowth (the track/ballast itself looked better than on the
part that is still in service) there is a section in Monsey that was just
obliterated.  Rumor has it that the locals did this on their own.

If memory serves, the line is owned by Metro North, and is embargoed, rather
than abandoned.  I've seen its reactivation listed as an option for deadheading
trains to Spring Valley.  Except for the Monsey stretch, everything is more or
less intact, with a few lengths of rail missing/paved over here and there.  The
ROW enters town, and the rail is pulled up.  The road crossings are not just
paved over, but regraded with curbs and sidewalks put in at the crossing
location.  The ROW through town is devoid of ties and rail, and random piles of
stone/concrete/building waste combined with overgrowth make it impassable.  We
couldn't even tell where the ROW went, and when we found the other end of
track, it looked as though someone sloppily took a torch to the rail, not
typical railroad "strip everything that's usable" abandonment.  I think it's a
shame that such vandalism is allowed to take place.

Any thoughts?

Matt