Re: (erielack) Abandoned ROW

- --- MONTGOMERY| ED <emontgom_@_LAN.TJHSST.EDU> wrote:
> I have been reading, with interest, these stories on abandoned
> railroad ROW's.  It is interesting to see what happens to it.  I first
> thought of some lines right in NJ.  For instance, the ROW of the
> DL&W Rockaway Loop remained in place for decades.  Much of it
> may still be there.  I wonder who owned it?

I walked the accessible parts of this line some years ago.  Service ended
on 10/17/48; it's amazing what still exists.  From Denville Junction, a
stub runs from the Boonton Line, including a wye track, used by NS to turn
cars for Georgia Pacific (some can only be unloaded from one side and they
invariably arrive facing the other way).  Beyond the stub, about 1/4 mile
of empty r-o-w is visible in the area, with abutments of the Den Brook
bridge still in place.  The next segment disappears for about 1/2 mile
under Interstate 80, unfortunately, through interchange 38's eastbound
off-ramp.  As nearly as I can determine, the balance belongs to JCP&L,
which has a number of power lines along the r-o-w.  That could be verified
by visiting the Rockaway Borough offices.

I had some body work done at D&M Auto Body a few years ago.  Their shop
(built about 1997) is just north of the loop, where US 46 crosses.  The
building has a series of notches in its southwest corner TO CLEAR THE
RAILROAD RIGHT OF WAY!!!  The parking lot covers part of the railroad.

NJDoT long-range plans call for replacing the US 46 bridge over the
railroad here - some time around 2010.  All the bridges over the old DL&W
in Dover will be replaced by then also.

Also in this area is a section of former Morris County Traction Company
private right-of-way, which was necessary to avoid crossing the Rockaway
Loop at grade.  That route is used for a sewer line and telephone trunk
lines (the Denville-Rockaway central exchange building is on the town line
and backs on the Rockaway Loop).  BTW, the Rockaway station had a notch on
the northeast corner to clear the siding serving a coal dock.  The station
was destroyed by fire in the 1970's, and when rebuilt - larger - it
retained the notch!!!

=====
Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7