Re: FW: (erielack) New book w/EL content

Some of this topic has been covered elsewhere at different times on this
list, but it's still pertinent, given the relevance to the Cleveland line.

Any realtor who thinks that having commuter rail will decrease property
values is, at the least, short sighted. One who bought that much ROW to keep
a railroad from building on it is going to hurt himself financially-and
deserves to be run out of the profession. As Paul's post attests, rail
service will increase property value. My mom lives two blocks from the LIRR
in Queens(I loved being that close to the trains, too-and you don't notice
after a while. I could sleep through any rush hour), and the houses in her
neighborhood go for quite a premium compared to houses a mile away. There
has always been added value to being closer to the train. Speaking as one
who has driven through Cleveland many times, I'd much rather take a train
into the city than have to drive there. This guy is an idiot. The car thief
commuter theory also doesn't hold up. Most of the people who would steal
cars probably can't afford the train fare to go to Warren(Warren?? To steal
cars??) anyway. Besides, why go all the way out there, when Shaker Heights
is much closer.

The question of eminent domain would come into play if ODOT or another
government agency were to acquire the ROW. Given the development over the
last several decades, this may pose a serious logistical problem, never mind
dealing with the NIMBY types. If the transit agency can show clear title to
the land, conveyed by the the EL estate, or by the state, whoever currently
has title-sometimes people build on an abandoned ROW, even though it's not
their property-they can force the "squatter" to remove whatever he built on
it. It gets ugly.

Ownership of the ROW depends on how it was assembled originally. In some
cases, the railroad bought the land outright, and it(or the estate) is the
owner, until it is sold to another party-even if the track was pulled up
years ago, and it hasn't been used since.

If the railroad got the ROW via an easement, the property may revert to the
original land owner, or his successors, once it has been abandoned by the
railroad. This will depend on the language in the easement. I had the chance
to follow the Erie ROW across Indiana a couple of years ago; much of it has
been plowed under in the rural areas, leading me to believe it was primarily
built on easements.

Tom B