Re: (erielack) Diamond date correct

Dear list:
He was right with the 1927 date for the first locomotives with Erie
diamond-ball logo on tenders.  I was wrong.

I looked in Stauffer's Erie Power to discover that the caption in Carleton's
book was incorrect:  Page 63 of the book ERIE POWER clearly states that the
first locomotives delivered with Erie's diamond and ball emblem were S class
locomotives (Berkshires) of 1927.  Now if I had Volume 7 of the Diamond, I
probably would not have messed up.

Going back to my notes and page 37 of Carleton's book, I find a 1926 Baldwin
builder's photograph of Erie Class N-3a Mikado #3157 (2-8-2) with ERIE on the
tender as "the last group of locomotives of its kind (and lettering)
purchased by Erie." So some of the captions in THE ERIE LACKAWANNA STORY need
closer reading than I gave them.

I got goofed up in the captions on Decapods, and a reference (pages 55-59) to
a "new" 1920-1921 Decapod that had the Erie diamond on the tender--the
caption was about delivery date, not when the photo was taken.

However, 1927 was not the first year an Erie locomotive carried the diamond.
Page 79 of Carleton's ERIE RAILROAD STORY (1988) show a photo of ten-wheeler
Class G-3 Erie #973 (Richmond class of 1899) with a different diamond-ball
for a number plate on the smokebox door.  The locomotive still had
its oil headlamp with no visible generator, so the photo was taken prior to
WWI.

H Haines