(erielack) The STOKER

Wow!  What a blast from the past!  I didn't think anyone remembered the old Stoker.  Started in January, 1973, the Stoker was intended to be totally railfan supported.  You each tell us; we tell you all.  It followed the lead of the west Coast's CTC Board, at Jim Boyd's urging.

I had a staff:  Don Smida and Larry Kuttner, both high school students in Cresskill.  There were a lot of high school people in railfanning in those days, on both sides of the desks.  Right, Mike?

The last issue of the original Stoker was May, 12, 1978.  My life had changed to preclude having the time, so it went into hibernation.

When the Bergen Rockland Chapter sought a punchier name for their chapter publication, I "gave" them the Stoker, beginning in 1983, and edited it for some years

We had a couple of mottos:

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something

and

Today's railroading is tomorrow's history.

Both still hold.  That's why I hope email archives hold up with time.

So, I went back and found my collection of the  original.  There's some neat stuff in there, but not from 1971.  Now what?  It's a number of pages.

Boy, some of the things . . .

Randy Brown