Re: (erielack) Wanaque

- --- "Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)" <paultup_@_lucent.com> wrote:

> [...]
Rutherford,
> > > which were  some distance away.
> >
> > Dear Ken and Group,
> >
> > It's   WAH-nah-kew
> > (even though wah-NAH-kwah would make sense, compared with
> > other Native American place names in the region)
>
> WAH-nah-kew is the pronunciation I've heard most commonly, though I have
> heard many folks (even natives to that area) pronounce it "wah-NAH-kee".
>
> Other botched versions I've heard:
>
> WAH-nah-kwee
> WAH-knock
> WAY-na-que

My understanding from the late 1960's was that the 'natives' of that era
said 'key' while the 'newer interlopers' said 'kew'.  The name is derived
from American Indian which became English 'Wyanokie', which is the name of
a ridge in the area.  That leads ME to say 'key'...

=====
Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey