(erielack) What People Called the Railroad

Listers,

To add to the discussion of this vital topic, My grandfather (born 1880)
was a traveling salesman out of Owego, NY from about 1912 until late in
the depression (36-37).  He always called the Erie, "The Dirtyolderie,"
(yes, as one word).

The DL&W was always "The Lackawanna", though most others I remember as a
child called it the "DL".  He preferred to travel the Lackawanna until
the day he died.=20

When my mother was traveling from Owego to San Diego, CA in 1942 to
marry my naval father, granddad insisted that she ride the
Lackawanna/NKP route to Chicago rather than the Erie. He booked her
coach to Chicago and Santa Fe lower section to Los Angeles. She shared
the lower with the mid-western wife of one of Dad's Navy buddies, who
joined the safari in Chicago, this being wartime and accommodations hard
to come by.

He was a man of travel experience and his convictions.  Hence in my
post-war journeys as a child form NYC to Owego I never rode the
Dirtyolderie.

Rusty Recordon