Re: (erielack) Re: Dover Wrecks?

In a message dated 1/22/02 4:54:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, Dlw1el2_@_aol.com
writes:

> The wreck in the 50s took down the station canopy from the East end of the
>  station.  There might have been two wrecks during this time?

The wreck that took down the east canopy of Dover Station was on August 20,
1952.  This event scattered cars about and removed much of the steam era from
Dover interlocking; photos of it show the between-tracks water cranes
leveled, signals down and the pipe-connected interlocking mangled in front of
the station. Electro-phneumatic switches replaced the pipe-connections,
though the strong-arm levers remained in the tower to operate the new switch
mechanisms.

There was a similar wreck during October 1962 at the Morris Street crossing
which also scattered about a half-dozen cars or so, demolishing the little
concrete crossing shanty there, which was replaced -- I remember findnig the
W sign in it during the late 1980s.

                ....Mike

End of ErieLack Digest V3 #446