RE: (erielack) Erie and EL Power

Steve Timko wrote:

> I asked him about the brakes on the GP-7's and some other
> issues, such as why
> did the 1200 and 1201 have 'barrel type" headlights while
> others had sealed
> beams.  His reply was that Erie ordered EVERY GP-7 and GP-9
> for a specific
> purpose.  The 1200 and 1201 were ordered for the Jefferson Div.
>
> Anyone ever hear of other such specifics?

Hmm... What were the GP9 specifically for? And I'd love to hear a good
reason why the Erie got wimpy 800 gallon fuel tanks!

There are also a few oddities that might fit such a theory for ALL diesels:

* The one-and-only passenger Baldwin, 1140. Huh?
* Erie's solitary SW1 - wasn't this purchased just for switching the NY
terminal area?
* The Limas at Youngstown. Seems awfully specific, no?

I don't think there was anything specific to the barrel headlights on the
1200/1201 - one theory I remember is that they were ordered around the same
time as WP's order, and might have gotten them to WP specs (being unfamiliar
with the GP7, they just piggybacked on someone else) - I need to look up
order numbers to see if there's any truth to this, though...