Re: (erielack) Mars Lights (was re: OEM Horns)

In a message dated 1/14/2002 11:48:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
quahog_@_sprint.ca writes:

 ALAN ASKS

> Dear Group,
>
> A discussion on Mars Lights, "bullseye" lights and headlight visors came
> up awhile back (I remember it well, because I originated it).  I'll try
> to summarize the results of that discussion as best I can:
>
> All eleven of the DL&W E8s were delivered with Mars lights in the upper
> headlight casing.  The lower headlight (mounted in the nose door) was
> the normal operating headlight.  The Mars assembly included both a white
> and a red (emergency indicator) bulb.  Nickel Plate and ATSF/D&H PAs
> were similarly equipped.

   PER DIAGRAM BOOKS, IT WAS A MARS OSCILLATING EMERGENCY RED
> AND WHITE, SEALED BEAM HEADLIGHT ON THE E8S
>
> The Mars light (white bulb only) was activated when the train passed
> through stations, grade crossings, yards, or other places where
> additional attention was desirable.  The Mark I Phoebe Snow video shows
> the Mars light operating as the E8-powered Phoebe Snow departs Hoboken.
>
> The DL&W passenger F3s and at least some of the steam locomotives used
> in passenger service also had Mars lights.

DON'T THINK THE STEAM LOCOMOTIVES HAD MARS LIGHTS, OR OSCILLATING LIGHTS.  I
THINK ?? THEY WERE JUST RED BULLS EYES.

In the case of the F3s, the
> Mars light may have been a single white bulb rather than the dual bulb
> assembly found on the E8s. (I haven't been able to find a good enough
> photo of a passenger F3's headlights to know for sure.)

   PER THE DIAGRAM BOOKS, IT WAS A  MARS OSCILLATING HEADLIGHT
> WITH AUXILIARY RED DISPLAY ON THE PASSENGER F3 ( NOTE: NOT A SEALED BEAM AND
> JUST RED.)
>
> After the EL merger or as the mechanical components of the Mars
> assemblies failed, they were replaced by normal headlights.  Some of the
> ex-DL&W E8s also lost their trademark lower headlights (Erie E8s didn't
> have them) when the nose doors were replaced for various reasons
> (including wreck damage). OR JUST TRYING TO GET EVERYTHING TO CONFORM TO
> ERIE UNITS.
>
> DL&W FTs and freight F3s were not equipped with Mars lights, but many of
> these units had a red "bullseye" light (smaller than a standard
> headlight) mounted in the nose door.

   CORRECT!
 These gradually disappeared after

> the EL merger as the older units were dropped from the roster.  I'm not
> sure if any of the late-model F3s or F7s has bullseye lights; I'm
> guessing not.

MOST, BUT NOT ALL EVENTUALLY  GOT THEM AT ONE POINT IN TIME.
BEST TO CONSULT YOUR LOCAL PHOTO DIGEST
 FOR TIME, DATE, AND UNIT :)

> Additional questions:
>
> 1) Does anyone have a DL&W ETT that includes rules governing the use of
> Mars lights?  If so, copying it to the group would be helpful. THIS WOULD
> NOT BE IN THE TIME TABLE BUT WOULD BE COVERED UNDER LOCOMOTIVE BULLETINS,
> ISSUED FROM THE MOTIVE POWER DEPT.
>
> 2) Was the red bullseye light ever used as a marker light / tail light
> (as was the case on the U34CHs and MU cars), or was it an emergency
> light only?  MARKER LIGHTS TOOK CARE OF THAT OFFICIALLY.  A GIVEN ENGINEER
> COULD IF HE WANTED TO PUT ON THE RED MARKER BUT THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN RARE.

IN REGARD TO THE ADDITIONAL QUESTION ABOUT HORNS ON STEAM LOCOMOTIVES.  THE
1600 4-8-4 HAD LESLIE TYFON 125-H HORNS.  WAS TOLD THESE WERE DIFFERENT FROM
WHAT WAS ON THE 1150 HUDSON'S. HAVEN'T LOOKED AT MY PHOTOS.  ALL LACKAWANNA F
UNITS HAD LESLIE
A200 HORNS, THE RS3 AND GP7 HAD LESLIE 200LP HORNS.

LESLIE TYFON WAS LOCATED IN LYNDHURST NJ, THUS THE NATURAL USE OF LESLIE
HORNS ON THE LACKAWANNA.

> Cheers,
> Alan <quahog_@_sprint.ca>

HOPE THIS HELPS