Re: (erielack) ERIE #25 and B25, plus

Hhaines_@_aol.com wrote:

> Folks,
> This didn't make it to the list the first time sent, so I'm trying  again. My
> apologies if this has been answered.
>
> In answer to Bob, Erie #25 and sister #21 and #22 were converted to boosters
> (B for booster, or slug) probably because they had weight for the traction
> effort at slow speeds, and their variable speed engines were probably worn
> out.  From what I could find, these pioneering diesel engines from
> Ingersoll-Rand and GE's Seymour and MacIntyre (#25) were made without set
> notches or speeds with which to generate electric power. >

I do not believe that GE ever owned MacIntosh and Seymour.  It was
bought by Alco but most of the early Alco-GE locos were powered by IR.

GE used variable speed engines with a very simple excitation system on
industrial locos through the 60s and later.

Notch or step control is only needed if diesel locos are to be MUed.

bob gillis